sambitkar

Made state tax payment to PA by mistake in 2016. I live and work in NJ. How can I get back the state tax I paid to PA?

The mistake occured at the beginning of 2016 when I had not updated by W-4. I used to live in PA in 2015.

ChristinaS

You need to make your PA wages $0 when inputting the W2 in Turbo Tax. Show the PA tax as whatever it actually was, so you can get it back.

Your NJ wages on the W2 may need to be adjusted upwards, so the proper amount ends up on your NJ return.

NJ wages are the year's federal wages, plus various additions, including-:

• Section 125/ IRC 125/ pretax Health Insurance and FSA.
  • HSA contributions
  • public retirement like 403(b)
  • dependent care FSA

On your NJ return, make sure you don't take a credit for paying taxes to PA. You can take a credit for taxes paid to a PA locality, however, as reciprocity doesn't cover the PA local tax.

ChristinaS

• HSA contributions
  • public retirement like 403(b)
  • dependent care FSA

ChristinaS

You will file a PA -40 return to get the withholding back, showing income of $0 and X withheld. Choose PA as OtherState Income under Personal Info tab