turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sambitkar

Made state tax payment to PA by mistake in 2016. I live and work in NJ. How can I get back the state tax I paid to PA?

The mistake occured at the beginning of 2016 when I had not updated by W-4. I used to live in PA in 2015.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Made state tax payment to PA by mistake in 2016. I live and work in NJ. How can I get back the state tax I paid to PA?

You need to make your PA wages $0 when inputting the W2 in Turbo Tax. Show the PA tax as whatever it actually was, so you can get it back.

Your NJ wages on the W2 may need to be adjusted upwards, so the proper amount ends up on your NJ return.

NJ wages are the year's federal wages, plus various additions, including-:

• Section 125/ IRC 125/ pretax Health Insurance and FSA.
  • HSA contributions
  • public retirement like 403(b)
  • dependent care FSA

On your NJ return, make sure you don't take a credit for paying taxes to PA. You can take a credit for taxes paid to a PA locality, however, as reciprocity doesn't cover the PA local tax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You need to make your PA wages $0 when inputting the W2 in Turbo Tax. Show the PA tax as whatever it actually was, so you can get it back.

Your NJ wages on the W2 may need to be adjusted upwards, so the proper amount ends up on your NJ return.

NJ wages are the year's federal wages, plus various additions, including-:

• Section 125/ IRC 125/ pretax Health Insurance and FSA.
  • HSA contributions
  • public retirement like 403(b)
  • dependent care FSA

On your NJ return, make sure you don't take a credit for paying taxes to PA. You can take a credit for taxes paid to a PA locality, however, as reciprocity doesn't cover the PA local tax.

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You will file a PA -40 return to get the withholding back, showing income of $0 and X withheld. Choose PA as OtherState Income under Personal Info tab
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies