flokey

Like a lot of others, I wonder where my refund is. I filed May 15, was accepted, set it for direct deposit. IRS says still processing.

So this is way past the hopeful 21 days, right?     Last time I got my refund in 2 weeks.  Now it's a tad over 8 weeks.

Did Covid mess up IRS or something?   Does anyone have news or gossip about IRS being backed up this bad?

The IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  Lots of other folks are still waiting (some since mid-February), so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

At least 8 million tax returns are in limbo at the IRS because of the pandemic, delaying refunds (ms...

Have you checked your status here: TurboTax and IRS ?

Although the IRS has processed and issued most refunds from e-filed returns around 21 days, because of the pileup caused by Covid, CARES Act, stimulus and the American Rescue Plan Act, some of the returns will require more time to review. 

Several items can  delay the processing of the 2020 return ... some of which are :   

> unemployment

> repayment of the PTC

> stimulus credit  on line 30 of the 2020 form 1040

> if you used the 2019 earned income for the 2020 EIC &/or  CTC/ACTC

> if you have prior year balance dues or unfiled returns

> the info on the W-2 doesn't match what the employer sent in and/or the employer's W-2 is not yet on file

> a variety of other items that require humans to look at

Due to understaffing and over tasking at the IRS again this year many returns will be delayed for as much as months.  The aging computer system is being over taxed trying to process millions of  2019 returns and 2020 returns (some of which will need extra processing this year due to the late tax law changes)  AND putting out the third stimulus payments.  If you want to vent to someone then contact your  local congress person and demand they fund the IRS sufficiently so that they can hire enough people and update their computer systems to handle all of the demands made upon this agency.  The IRS  can only do so much with the continued reductions to their budget. 

> unemployment

> repayment of the PTC

flokey

OK, that's what I was looking for.

I was just scared that I had been pulled out for audit or something. 

I got audited once.  I was young and inexperienced and made an honest mistake about something I just didn't know I wasn't allowed to do.  I never want to get audited again.  That guy ground me through every penny I ever owned or owed.  VERY thorough.   I wasn't in trouble, but it was EXHAUSTING.

I don't have anything to worry about if I do get audited, I just dread having to go through that again.

Thanks