Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Letter 12C from IRS

Following the file and acceptance of my 2019 taxes I received a 12C letter from the IRS stating that they need a completed Form 8962 and a copy of my 1095-A, upon attempting to fill out the 8962 I was unable to complete it due to not having a Form 1040, not being sent one or even needing to be filed. How am I to complete the 8962 without the Form 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Letter 12C from IRS

Ok ... the 1040 was the return you filed already ... everyone has one.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Form 8962 and Form 1095-A as requested by the IRS for tax year 2019 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/01/27409

Letter 12C from IRS

I filed through TurboTax with the TurboTax Free File Program, I did not receive a 1040 through the mail or not even a digital copy. The 8962 is asking for information that can't be filled out without information from the 1040, how am I supposed to get that info?

Letter 12C from IRS

ok ... everyone gets a 1040 ... that is the base form to file... so you have one since you filed ... so please follow the instructions posted above and let the program fill in that confusing form for you ... and while you are there save a PDF for your records that includes the 1040.

Letter 12C from IRS

I received the same letter from the IRS, but I had insurance thru my employer all year last year.

How can I go back into my turbotax info prior to the efiling to see if there is a discrepancy in the answer to the Health Insurance question?

Please advise.

Thanks.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Letter 12C from IRS

@bodabing61  After you've e-filed, take the following steps to revisit the Health Section of your tax return:

1. Sign into your TurboTax Online account.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom of your screen and select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state return, but this will allow you to re-open your filed return).
  3. From the left menu bar, select Federal.
  4. From the top menu, select Deductions & Credits.
  5. Select "I'll choose what I work on."
  6. Scroll down to the Medical section

From here you can review your answers to the Health Insurance questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Letter 12C from IRS

Faxed my forms back to IRS 3/3 and finally got my direct deposit date when I checked today 7/12. Went up $600 so it was worth the weight

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies