Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

auzl7926

I listed my dependant's medical coverage but just noticed its not on return, what can I do??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I listed my dependant's medical coverage but just noticed its not on return, what can I do??

It is possible.  You might not need to do anything.  Here is why:  If your total itemized deductions do not exceed standard deductions, it would not show on your Form 1040's as the program defaults you to take the standard deductions. 

By law, you're only allowed to deduct medical expenses above and beyond 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income AGI. Also, you need to itemize in order to take the medical expense deduction. Until the sum of all your itemizable deductions exceeds your standard deduction amount, your refund won't change.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

It is possible.  You might not need to do anything.  Here is why:  If your total itemized deductions do not exceed standard deductions, it would not show on your Form 1040's as the program defaults you to take the standard deductions. 

By law, you're only allowed to deduct medical expenses above and beyond 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income AGI. Also, you need to itemize in order to take the medical expense deduction. Until the sum of all your itemizable deductions exceeds your standard deduction amount, your refund won't change.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies