turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Issues with 2019 filing with Turbotax

1.  Turbotax has no easy way to send suggestions except through these moderated message boards.

2.  We have not had a mortgage for years yet it is very hard to get past all the questions about mortgage lender and amounts owed

3.  Filing home and business it is very confusing as to what to do with real estate taxes

4.  Incessant requests to upgrade or add extra services throughout the preparation process is annoying.

5.  Charged $40 extra to file my state taxes, then asked if I wanted this taken from the Federal refund.  Said yes and they charged another $40???

6.  Too many bells and whistles -- my last year of using this service

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2.  We have not had a mortgage for years yet it is very hard to get past all the questions about mortgage lender and amounts owed   If you do not have a mortgage you should skip the mortgage section all together ... if they prior year bank is transferred from last year just delete the bank and move on. 

3.  Filing home and business it is very confusing as to what to do with real estate taxes  RE taxes can be entered in several places depending on what they are being paid for ...In the Downloaded Home & Business version ... if it is for a Rental or Business properties then it goes in the Business tab ... if they are for your personal residence it goes on the Personal tab right after the mortgage questions you no longer need. 

NOW if you really mean the Self Employed Online version(as your next point would indicate)  then again the RE taxes are entered in the Sch E, Sch C or Sch A sections depending on what you need.  

4.  Incessant requests to upgrade or add extra services throughout the preparation process is annoying. There is nothing that can be done about that if you use the ONLINE program ... may I suggest you use the Downloaded Deluxe version instead as it is cheaper ... in fact you can switch now if you have not paid or filed.

5.  Charged $40 extra to file my state taxes, then asked if I wanted this taken from the Federal refund.  Said yes and they charged another $40???  The online paid versions have always had an extra fee for the state program and the refund processing fee to withhold the TT fees from your federal refund is totally optional ... pay with your own CC and avoid the fee.    To  continue in the desktop version see this…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-the-turbotax-softw...

6.  Too many bells and whistles -- my last year of using this service  Turbotax is a DIY program designed for use by the uneducated user so the system can be overly simple at times  however they also have to follow the IRS forms.   If you have issues there is always the option to call support, post a question here and/or upgrade to the LIVE version for help.    And afterall Intuit is a for profit public company so of course they will try to upsell you ... all the DIY programs do.

If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return.  The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $34,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2018 AGI of $69,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program

View solution in original post

1 Reply

2.  We have not had a mortgage for years yet it is very hard to get past all the questions about mortgage lender and amounts owed   If you do not have a mortgage you should skip the mortgage section all together ... if they prior year bank is transferred from last year just delete the bank and move on. 

3.  Filing home and business it is very confusing as to what to do with real estate taxes  RE taxes can be entered in several places depending on what they are being paid for ...In the Downloaded Home & Business version ... if it is for a Rental or Business properties then it goes in the Business tab ... if they are for your personal residence it goes on the Personal tab right after the mortgage questions you no longer need. 

NOW if you really mean the Self Employed Online version(as your next point would indicate)  then again the RE taxes are entered in the Sch E, Sch C or Sch A sections depending on what you need.  

4.  Incessant requests to upgrade or add extra services throughout the preparation process is annoying. There is nothing that can be done about that if you use the ONLINE program ... may I suggest you use the Downloaded Deluxe version instead as it is cheaper ... in fact you can switch now if you have not paid or filed.

5.  Charged $40 extra to file my state taxes, then asked if I wanted this taken from the Federal refund.  Said yes and they charged another $40???  The online paid versions have always had an extra fee for the state program and the refund processing fee to withhold the TT fees from your federal refund is totally optional ... pay with your own CC and avoid the fee.    To  continue in the desktop version see this…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-the-turbotax-softw...

6.  Too many bells and whistles -- my last year of using this service  Turbotax is a DIY program designed for use by the uneducated user so the system can be overly simple at times  however they also have to follow the IRS forms.   If you have issues there is always the option to call support, post a question here and/or upgrade to the LIVE version for help.    And afterall Intuit is a for profit public company so of course they will try to upsell you ... all the DIY programs do.

If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return.  The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $34,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2018 AGI of $69,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies