coryrogers9592

Is there something wrong, I got my refund back and it's only a third of what it said it was going to be?

I've done nothing different from past years, this makes no sense.
rmatherne88

Did you have any offsets or claim the recovery rebate on your return?

coryrogers9592

No offset, I did claim the recovery rebate. Could that be the issue?

rmatherne88

It depends, ive seen a lot of people who claim it have the IRS erraneously take it off and reduce their returns. Have you checked the irs wheres my refund tool? It usually tells you why your refund was adjusted.

coryrogers9592

They didn't give me a reason, they said I'd get an email around the 29th that will fill me in on the details. Thanks for the help.

A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery rebate credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payment or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts.  

npierson7

The IRS usually don't email the details why they reduced your refund. They will send you a paper letter with detailed explanation why you didn't received the whole amount.