turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there something wrong, I got my refund back and it's only a third of what it said it was going to be?

I've done nothing different from past years, this makes no sense.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Is there something wrong, I got my refund back and it's only a third of what it said it was going to be?

Did you have any offsets or claim the recovery rebate on your return?

No offset, I did claim the recovery rebate. Could that be the issue?

It depends, ive seen a lot of people who claim it have the IRS erraneously take it off and reduce their returns. Have you checked the irs wheres my refund tool? It usually tells you why your refund was adjusted.

They didn't give me a reason, they said I'd get an email around the 29th that will fill me in on the details. Thanks for the help.

A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery rebate credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payment or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts.  

The IRS usually don't email the details why they reduced your refund. They will send you a paper letter with detailed explanation why you didn't received the whole amount. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies