Is it possible after filing a federal return, and it being accepted, to cancel an auto debit and set up a payment plan?

mblessing031

I filed 10 days ago, and my return was accepted 9 days ago.  I signed up for direct debit as my payment option on 4/11/19, but I need to change that to a payment plan.  How can I go about doing that?

Rachel_W

Yes, it is possible to cancel an auto debit and set up a payment plan.

You can cancel the auto withdrawal you set up when you filed your return by calling the IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537.  Be sure to wait 7 to 10 business days after your return was accepted before calling.

Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

You can set up a payment plan with the IRS online:  https://www.irs.gov/payments/payment-plans-installment-agreements