Ask the Experts Self-Employed & Gig Workers! >> Event happening NOW!!!

Is it bad to amend for a third time?

Hello! Is it bad to amend my 2021 return for a third time? Has anyone heard of that? Will I be in trouble? I just want to make sure everything is covered. This will 100% be the final time.

Is it bad to amend for a third time?

I see it as only 'bad' for not being patient back in the beginning to be sure you had all the required documents and entered them correctly.  Rushing gets nowhere. 

I can't imagine the IRS is going to care, esp. if you owe tax - they will figure that out in any event if it's from a W_2 or any other form that was submitted by the source directly to the IRS

rjs

Is it bad to amend for a third time?

Before you file the third amendment, make sure that the IRS has finished processing your original tax return and the first two amendments. Filing another amended return before all of the earlier returns have been fully processed will cause confusion and delays. And make sure that the "original amounts" in column A of your third Form 1040-X properly take into account any earlier adjustments made either by your earlier amended returns or by the IRS.

Is it bad to amend for a third time?

@rjs @NCperson 

Thank you for the tips! I will wait a couple of weeks to a month for the next amendment.

rjs

Is it bad to amend for a third time?

Wait until you get letters from the IRS telling you that the first two amendments have been completed. That will probably be a lot more than a couple of weeks to a month. They are taking five months or more to process amended returns.

Is it bad to amend for a third time?

a month is too short. with all the amendments you submitted it could take the IRS 8 months or longer to figure everything out.  before filing the 3rd amendment you need to see what the IRS finally approves with the 2nd amendment.  don't wait and you may be filing a fourth amendment.  haste makes waste.

Is it bad to amend for a third time?

@sedtax 

Eight months from now, the 2021 e-File window will have closed.

This year, IRS will accept three e-Files of Form 1040-X.

After that, or after Oct 15,  you'll have to file on paper via US Mail.

Is it bad to amend for a third time?

Thank you everyone! I will wait.