IRS Taking Forever

kayraines12

IRS Taking Forever

Is there anyone else who are having similar issues such as the ones I am having below?

My husband and I filed our taxes the end of January 2021, they were accepted by the IRS 02/13/2021. Since that date, there have been no updates. I have called 2-3 times per week for the past several weeks to figure out what is going on. Today I got told that there was an error (income had not yet been reported by an employer); so they were taken out of the system, fixed (without any issuances to us), and were placed back in the system on 03/30/2021. The IRS agent was having to put in a referral form since the expected time frame of 8 weeks has passed since we filed. We have now been told that they will contact us within the next 30 days but letter notification in the mail. 

What in the world? Why is it taking so long to process? 

I understand that stimulus checks were issued, but I have been filing taxes for 9 years now and I have NEVER had to deal with any of this. No one can give me any updates other than it is processing either. I am not allowed to speak with anyone in the processing department either. 

JeffreyR77

IRS Taking Forever

These are unprecedented times for us all including the IRS.

Never before has such a series of direct to taxpayers payments been made along with changes in the rules for what income is and is not taxable in the middle of a tax season before. 

The IRS is reacting to deliver in a dynamic environment of change while operating in the same COVID world as all of us. 

What we think is known today is subject to total change tomorrow.  

Bankerbarb2545

IRS Taking Forever

Thank you JeffreyR77, is there any way we can check if there are any problems on the return, or if it's just taking forever.

DianeW777

IRS Taking Forever

You an always try to get your IRS Transcript to see if it is been processed and whether it matches the return that you filed.  

Next you should continue to monitor Get My Payment tool for the most up to date information on your stimulus payments.

Lastly, you can try the IRS Economic Impact Payment phone number is 800-919-9835. You can call to speak with a live representative about your stimulus check.  Expect long hold times, try early and late for best results.

crawforddenise393

IRS Taking Forever

My husband and I filed our taxes in the middle of February and it's now the first week of April and still no refund We haven't received any letters from anyone We are in the dark Can someone maybe give me a clue as to what is happening Thanks!

DawnC

IRS Taking Forever

They are probably reviewing something on your return.  Check the Where's My Refund site to get the most up to date information on your refund.   And keep checking the mail for a notice if the return remains pending for several weeks.    @crawforddenise393