Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS sent me a notice that I have to pay due tax with penalties and interests. I paid it online to IRS but like to amend my return. How to amend the amount already paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

IRS sent me a notice that I have to pay due tax with penalties and interests. I paid it online to IRS but like to amend my return. How to amend the amount already paid?

As you walk through the steps in the amend process, you will get to a question that asks how much you already paid with extension or after you filed your return.  This will end up going on line 16 of your 1040X.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It appears in 1040-x line 12:
Payments
12 Federal income tax withheld and excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld. (If changing, see instructions.) 

and then
16 Total amount paid with request for extension of time to file, tax paid with original return, and additional
tax paid after return was filed . . . . become Zero.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Did the IRS ask you to amend or are you doing so because you disagree with their statement?

If they did not ask you to amend and you do not disagree with their statement, then you would just need to contact them and verify that they received any additional payments.  This may be a timing issue?

Thank you Vanessa!

IRS did not ask for amend. I filed my 2020 with COVID-19 claims since I did not received them during lockdown. IRS not only canceled my COVID-19 claims, but also asked for tax due with penalty and interests. I paid IRS in full in order not to pay more penalty and interests but I am amending because I disagree with their statement.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Are you amending back to what it originally was?  If so, that probably won't work since they already disagreed with you.  There should be a statement on the letter that says if you disagree with us take these steps.  Those are the steps you need to take.

If you are amending, subtract the penalty Line 38 from amount you paid.

Do not try to calculate a new penalty; IRS wlll do that and send you a bill or refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies