Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS - received notice of refund adjustment (CP12)

Filed taxes as non resident and received a notice of adjusted refund which was $500 more than what was originally owed by IRS. Reason specified - you calculated child tax refundable/nonrefundable credit incorrectly. Though I did not calculate it myself but used taxact. My question now is do I need to file an amendment to my Illinois state taxes? And will it increase my state tax refund?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Your post is confusing. You refer to filing with the IRS (Federal) as a "non-resident", but then mention Illinois state.  And this is not the Taxact website.  It is Turbotax.

while the post is confusing, I think what you are saying is the IRS denied your child tax credit on your tax return, so that what you owed increased by $500. 

Non-resident aliens are not eligble for the child tax credit nor are they eligible for the 'other dependent' tax credit (which I think what was really denied since it was $500)..  

As it is a tax credit, and not an income item,. it is unlikely to impact your state tax return. 

My apologies. Let me rephrase.

I filed taxes as non resident alien since I lived in the US for 2 weeks of 2021 and had employment income for those two weeks. IRS owed me $1100 and using that info I filed my IL state taxes but later sent me a notice that now they owe me $1600 since - 'we changed the amount claimed as nonrefundable child tax credit on your tax return since you either didn't enter an amount or entered it incorrectly based on number of boxes you checked on page 1 of your tax return. We changed refundable child tax credit claimed because there was an error on schedule 8812, credits for qualifying children'. To clarify, I have a 3 yr kid who is US citizen and received advance child tax credit last year along with employment income. I provided all relevant information with regards to my tax situation while filing taxes. So now my question is, with this info, do I need to file an amendment for my states (IL) taxes and will that increase the refund amount owed by the state of IL. I was originally given a refund of around $400 for filing state taxes.

probably not, since the adjustments the IRS made are all related to tax credits and there was no change to the income reported.  It's changes in income reported that would potentially change state income taxes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies