Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS notice CP59 - How can Tubo Tax help electronically file my 2021 tax return, which IRS does not seem to have received?

In July 2024, I received an IRS notice CP59 which falsely claims that I have not file my 2021return and gives me an option to file electronically through an authorized e-file provider. I need TurboTax to help me file electronically.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IRS notice CP59 - How can Tubo Tax help electronically file my 2021 tax return, which IRS does not seem to have received?

@ckpejman  wrote:  "In July 2024, I received an IRS notice CP59 which falsely claims that I have not file my 2021return and gives me an option to file electronically through an authorized e-file provider. I need TurboTax to help me file electronically. "

Do you have a copy of your 2021 return?  How did you prepare the 2021 return that you think you filed?   Was it prepared with TurboTax?   If so, was it in Online TurboTax or the 2021 desktop software?  

Do you think you efiled, or did you choose to print and physically mail the return?

If you prepared it in Online TurboTax, you should be able to go into your account to get a copy of the 2021 return and to see the status of your filing attempt to see what may have happened.  When you log in, go to the Tax Home.  Scroll down to "Your Tax Returns and Documents", when you choose tax year 2021, what does it show for the status of the 2021 return--does it say accepted, rejected, printed, started, ready to mail, or what?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

TurboTax can only help you, most likely, if you use Full Service.

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

I am not sure if they e-file past years' returns. If not, you need to consult with a local tax professional.

@ckpejman  wrote:  "In July 2024, I received an IRS notice CP59 which falsely claims that I have not file my 2021return and gives me an option to file electronically through an authorized e-file provider. I need TurboTax to help me file electronically. "

Do you have a copy of your 2021 return?  How did you prepare the 2021 return that you think you filed?   Was it prepared with TurboTax?   If so, was it in Online TurboTax or the 2021 desktop software?  

Do you think you efiled, or did you choose to print and physically mail the return?

If you prepared it in Online TurboTax, you should be able to go into your account to get a copy of the 2021 return and to see the status of your filing attempt to see what may have happened.  When you log in, go to the Tax Home.  Scroll down to "Your Tax Returns and Documents", when you choose tax year 2021, what does it show for the status of the 2021 return--does it say accepted, rejected, printed, started, ready to mail, or what?

I concur and support the response by @mesquitebean (please read it thoroughly).

Also see https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp59-notice

AND

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f15103.pdf

You will not be able to e-file a 2021 return using TurboTax.  The "Live" full service only helps with current returns for tax year 2023.   The only way for you to file a 2021 return is by mail.   Use a mailing service like certified mail when you send it so that you will know it was received.

If you really want to have the return e-filed, have a 2021 return prepared by a paid local tax professional who has the software that will e-file a past year return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies