Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS claims SSA earnings missing

The IRS says I failed to enter SSA earnings, and now own extra tax and interest, but the exact amount they mention  appears on line 6A of my 2021 1040SR in the "filing" pdf I printed before e-filing.

Anyone know why this is happening? Is it possible for the efiled return and the pdf to be out of sync?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Review the CP2000 notice carefully ... was there other missing income mentioned by the IRS  which then made the SS you entered on line 6a more taxable on line 6b?    It would be very unusual for the SS to not be calculated correctly by the program if you entered in all the income properly. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

SSA benefits reported in 6a doesn't matter. this is the gross proceeds, not the amount that is taxable which is in 6b.  the IRS is saying you underreported the taxable amount. Turbotax should have calculated this automatically. we can't see your return so 

report the IRS notice 

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/ 

@mgfrobozz - what is on line 6b and line 11?

unlikely the two are out of synch, unless the tax return was efiled, the SSA was added into TT and then the pdf file was created - not saying that is what you did, but that is a way they can be out of synch

Review the CP2000 notice carefully ... was there other missing income mentioned by the IRS  which then made the SS you entered on line 6a more taxable on line 6b?    It would be very unusual for the SS to not be calculated correctly by the program if you entered in all the income properly. 

Operator error, here. I finally noticed that the IRS letter was for TY2020, not TY2021. Coincidentally, the total social security benefits were exactly the same. Looking back at the 2020 return, I obviously missed entering the SSA-1099s.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies