Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS changed my $1400 refund to 0.00

Based on the information that I could find, none of those things would apply to me so I still don't understand why my refund was changed to zero dollars. Because based on the things I was able to see listed it referenced that an individual claimed as a dependent was missing yet I don't/ I didn't claim a dependent I never have nor is my adjusted gross income was  over $75,000 because I only receive disability. It specifically states that we changed the amount claimed as recovery rebate credit on your tax return error was in one or more of the following  an independent claimed was missing or incomplete when no more than individuals claimed as a dependent does not match our records again I don't claim any dependents so none of this would matter or that my adjusted gross income exceeds 75,000 where again I only receive disability at this point so my income is well below 75,000 more around the 25,000 mark. Can you assist in helping me to find an answer for this or maybe if this was an error? Please advise.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

That is just the list of generic reasons they give if they changed the Recovery rebate credit on line 30.

1400 is for the 3rd Stimulus payment for each person.  It is on 1040 line 30.   Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

If you claimed a missing stimulus payment on your return but the IRS took it off you have to ask the IRS. They think they already sent it to you.  Maybe it went to an account you don't remember. Or you got a check or a card. It was probably easy to miss the debit card in the mail and think it was junk mail. They have to put a trace on it.

Double check your bank statements and Check your IRS account to see when and what they sent you (check both spouse's accounts if married)

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Did you receive a $1400 stimulus payment in the Spring of 2021, but tell the program that you did not? 

That is just the list of generic reasons they give if they changed the Recovery rebate credit on line 30.

1400 is for the 3rd Stimulus payment for each person.  It is on 1040 line 30.   Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

If you claimed a missing stimulus payment on your return but the IRS took it off you have to ask the IRS. They think they already sent it to you.  Maybe it went to an account you don't remember. Or you got a check or a card. It was probably easy to miss the debit card in the mail and think it was junk mail. They have to put a trace on it.

Double check your bank statements and Check your IRS account to see when and what they sent you (check both spouse's accounts if married)

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

Thank you so much for your insight. I will start with the IRS next, currently I am just waiting for the letter it says they mailed to me but I haven't received yet detailing why they did what they did.

I did receive a $1400 payment but no, I did not indicate on my taxes that I did not receive it.

@edyauger - then that is the issue.  Line 40 of Form 1040 should be zero indicating you are not due any more stimulus.  The IRS adjusted that line to match their records

in essence by not entering what you had already received when asked by TT, you inflated your refund by $1400.  the IRS is simply reducing the refund by a like amount. 

You were entitled to either the stimulus or the Recovery Rebate Credit, but not both.  It's simply $1400 times the number of people on your tax return is the benefit.  

make sense?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies