turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emaran
Returning Member

IRS accepting returns

the IRS started accepting individual returns, according to IRS website, on Jan27th. my return status is still pending and i electronically filed Feb 1st. for the last 5 years, my returns were accepted in 24 hours. why does the intuit site say the IRS is not accepting until February 12? why the discrepancy in dates? and where are my returns sitting?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

IRS accepting returns

MY RETURN IS IN PENDING—what does that mean?

Did you e-file?  Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”  If so, your return is now in “pending” on a server.  Do not try to change anything while your return is in pending. If your return is rejected you will be able to make corrections before re-filing.

The IRS will not be accepting/rejecting 2020 returns until Friday, February 12, 2021.  You need to watch your emails for the acceptance/rejection notice that may take until mid-February or later to arrive.   And watch your spam folder too.

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

A state return cannot be accepted until the federal return has been accepted.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-tax-filing-season-begins-feb-12-irs-outlines-steps-to-speed-refund...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

IRS accepting returns

You probably were looking at an old IRS notice for the 2019 tax returns.

The date of January 27 was for tax year 2019 in calendar year 2020.

The IRS will not be accepting any 2020 tax returns until February 12, 2021.

IRS new release website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-tax-filing-season-begins-feb-12-irs-outlines-steps-to-speed-refund...

emaran
Returning Member

IRS accepting returns

i was doing exactly that!!  thank you for the reply and providing the link!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies