I have read posts that the IRS owes interest 45 days after your return is accepted. Here are my questions:
1) With this year delay - does the 45 days start from date accepted or the NEW July 15th deadline?
2) I have seen 4/5% interest - I am good with either of those numbers as it is a better yield than my savings but which is it?
Apparently - I am in the 10% where they are manually checking my return. My refund status went from the bar chart to "A refund date will be provided when available" . Looking at my transcripts it does not look like anyone has reviewed my return yet. Assume they are just swamped.
By using the term "generally" the interest starts 45 days after 7/15/2020 so don't start counting the interest just yet ... they should get caught up by then.
- If you file your return on or after April 15, IRS has an administrative time (typically 45 days) to process your return without paying interest on your refund.
- Your return must be complete and signed.
- If IRS pays you interest, then interest on the refund will start on the return due date, late filed return received date, or date the payment was made, whichever is the latest.
- The return due date is generally April 15.