turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rick15

In 2008 I owed back taxes but after an amended return they stated I had a refund. I know I can't claim it but can it be applied to other outstanding balances?

I need clarification before I call the IRS. My luck with them over the phone hasn't been the best.

As stated, in 2008 I owed roughly 11k in back taxes due to an accounting error putting other people's income on my social. Once amended and rectified I was granted a refund but due to the age, I know I can't claim it.

Can the IRS apply the "refund" to any existing balances and can other years amended returns be applied as well?

I'm just trying to do this right and get off as cheaply while still being legal.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In 2008 I owed back taxes but after an amended return they stated I had a refund. I know I can't claim it but can it be applied to other outstanding balances?

Refunds cannot be issued after the Statute of Limitations has expired, not can they be applied to outstanding taxes due.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Did those "other people" ultimately claim this income? And whose "accounting error" was it...your employer's?
rick15

I was a contractor with 3 "sub" contractors. The sub contractors income was reported on my social instead of on their own.

I wasn't notified of this until 2012 when the IRS contacted me on back taxes owed. I only recently was able to provide adequate evidence to overturn the back taxes.

Refunds cannot be issued after the Statute of Limitations has expired, not can they be applied to outstanding taxes due.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies