Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VKNK
Level 1

import amended return - 1040x

How to import amended tax return of previous year after you started taxes of next year. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

@ VKNK wrote:

How to import amended tax return of previous year after you started taxes of next year. 

You cannot transfer a prior-year return into an already-started return.    You have to start a new return in order to transfer in the prior year.   Transferring occurs at the very beginning of the new return.

We can tell you more, but we don't know anything about your situation.  What tax years are you referring to?   Are you referring to a 2019 amended return and a current 2020 return you are preparing?  Or are you preparing some other tax year?

We also don't know what product you used for the prior-year amended return and what product you are using for the new return.   How to transfer a prior-year return makes a big difference if you are using Online TurboTax versus desktop software (CD/download).

VKNK
Level 1

Thanks for your reply. 

I have to amend 2019 taxes, I used TurboTax Deluxe desktop edition(windows). I'm using TurboTax Deluxe desktop edition for windows for 2020 taxes as well. 

I filed my 2020 taxes now. What can I do now, amend 2019 and start 2020 new again, then manually carry over 1040 changes if any to 1040x if needed?

@ VKNK wrote:

I have to amend 2019 taxes, I used TurboTax Deluxe desktop edition(windows). I'm using TurboTax Deluxe desktop edition for windows for 2020 taxes as well. 

I filed my 2020 taxes now. What can I do now, amend 2019 and start 2020 new again, then manually carry over 1040 changes if any to 1040x if needed?

I'm just a fellow user, not a tax expert.   So everything I suggest below is just what I might do in a similar situation.  So I'm sort of "thinking out loud."  You'll ultimately have to decide how to handle it.

That's a more complicated situation, since you may have to amend both years.  The FIRST thing I would do, is to make an archival copy of the original 2019 data file--the *.tax2019 data file--and name it something like 2019original.tax2019, and I would do the same thing with the *.tax2020 data file--something like 2020original.tax2020, and I would store both in a safe location.  Then I would never use those archived files to experiment with amending.  Then if you screw up either amended return, you still have the original untouched data files for the original returns.  I'd also make PDFs of both the 2019 and 2020 returns prior to amending, for easy review and backup and would label them "original" as well.

You wrote:  "I filed my 2020 taxes now."

So did you just recently efile the 2020 return, and if so, do you know yet if it has been accepted?   If the efile is rejected, that would be lucky.  Then after you amend 2019, you could simply make whatever changes you need to in the rejected 2020 return without having to amend it, then resubmit the efile.   If the efile was accepted, however, then you may have to amend 2020, too, depending on the situation.

Obviously it would have been best to amend the 2019 return before preparing and filing the 2020 return.     If you amend the 2019 return, you may have to amend the 2020 return, depending on any carryover items or other data from 2019 to 2020 that might change as a result of amending 2019.      After preparing the 2019 amended return, review it to see what items changed from what previously transferred over to the 2020 return.    Then when you amend the 2020 return, you can make those changes; i.e., you can edit any 2020 figures with the changes from the 2019 amended return that would have normally flowed to 2020.

You wrote:  "What can I do now, amend 2019 and start 2020 new again, then manually carry over 1040 changes if any to 1040x if needed?"

If you want to experiment by starting a brand new 2020 return and transferring the completed 2019 amended return into it, you can do so to see what items transferred from the 2019 amended return.  Then, if you wish, finish preparing the trial 2020 return to see what all changed.    But do not file that new trial 2020 return.   However, that could help you know how to prepare the 2020 amended return, if needed.   Just be sure to label any trial returns appropriately, so you don't get them mixed up with an actual return or amended return.

That was kind of hard to explain all that adequately in writing, so I hope I didn't confuse the situation.

If you need to speak to TurboTax Support, here's how to reach them:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

VKNK
Level 1

Thanks for your time. That is what I was planning to do.

Just frustrated with Intuit. I hoped TurboTax had an easy way to import amended data, it might require updating the schema files etc, might not be as simple but updating tables in DB is doable. I cannot believe how lazy this software company is. They haven't fixed a multiple 1098 entry issue in 2020 desktop version and its barely a week to submit taxes. So many things they can help with more automation, they are simply using it as milking the cow with no improvements year over year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies