Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have to prove my identity with my state refund, will this effect the time it will take for my return and will it effect my federal refund?

I checked the status of my state return, and for some reason it says that I have to prove my identity, so they've sent a letter in the mail with instructions that will be here in 5-7 business days. I'm really hoping that my refund is issued by the end of this month because I have to move. Will this effect my federal refund? And will this delay my refund time? Will it still be issued within 21 days of filing, or will I have to wait longer now? Help!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I have to prove my identity with my state refund, will this effect the time it will take for my return and will it effect my federal refund?

If your Federal refund shows accepted, then it is not effected.  You should still receive your Federal Refund within a 21-day time frame.

Although, your state refund will be delayed until they can verify your identity.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
LisaBr

If your Federal refund shows accepted, then it is not effected.  You should still receive your Federal Refund within a 21-day time frame.

Although, your state refund will be delayed until they can verify your identity.

My federal shows accepted but not yet approved
LisaBr

At this point, to be completely sure your refund is not held up, we want to see approved.  You will know one way or the other within 24 hours.

My refund went through and the IRS says it was accepted, and it was accepted within 24 hours of me filing, turbo tax let me know by emailing me. But it hasn’t been “approved,” yet.
LisaBr

I understand.  It is the weekend and the volume this weekend for e-filers is pretty heavy.  Not hearing it is approved yet is not a bad sign.  Keep me posted though.

I filed on the first though... am I supposed to hear that it’s approved within 24hrs?

you can't predict how long it will take IRS to approve your tax return.
Make sure the Post office has a "forwarding address" form on file for you

I’m confused. The PP with turbo tax just said I would know within 24 hours if it’s approved???

Once the IRS accepts your return, processing must occur. anything can happen that might slow the process.. There's no guarantee of a 24 hour turnaround for approval
halfblk81

Im trying to find out the amount of my state an cant get an answer

What does it mean when it says processed. but not approved.. I called the IRS and she first said asked if I had sent something in the mail. I said no which I haven't. then she states that  mines was in a "batch" and that it was processed on the 15th which I filed on the 2nd and got approved. it still shows this screen that states it still being processed. she said if I do receive a letter then to disregard the letter. its very confusing. she then asked question about my security. I paid for the audit protected isn't this something that I should have been notified?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies