turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amcel1288

I checked the box that said "receive refund from check through mail" and I have email saying I am receiving a prepaid visa. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MicheleR

I checked the box that said "receive refund from check through mail" and I have email saying I am receiving a prepaid visa. How do I fix this?

If you have completed your e-file, you will not be able to change the refund method. 

The Turbo PrePaid Visa is shipped out by Green Dot and any questions concerning the card you can visit https://www.turboprepaidcard.com/ or call (888) 285-4169 toll-free. If there are any issues with the IRS depositing your refund on the card, a check will be issued to the last address they have on file for you.

If you have not yet filed your return nor mailed them in you can change the refund method by clicking on "File" in the Menu Bar located on the left-hand side of your screen, and click on "Revisit" next to "Step 2".

In Step 2 you can choose:

- Direct deposit (Your refund will be deposited directly into your bank account)
- Turbo? Prepaid Visa® Card (If you're receiving a refund, you'll get fast access to your money with this reloadable card  no bank account necessary)
- The refund check option is available only with credit card payment method
- The split refund (between more than one bank account) option is available only with credit card payment method

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MicheleR

If you have completed your e-file, you will not be able to change the refund method. 

The Turbo PrePaid Visa is shipped out by Green Dot and any questions concerning the card you can visit https://www.turboprepaidcard.com/ or call (888) 285-4169 toll-free. If there are any issues with the IRS depositing your refund on the card, a check will be issued to the last address they have on file for you.

If you have not yet filed your return nor mailed them in you can change the refund method by clicking on "File" in the Menu Bar located on the left-hand side of your screen, and click on "Revisit" next to "Step 2".

In Step 2 you can choose:

- Direct deposit (Your refund will be deposited directly into your bank account)
- Turbo? Prepaid Visa® Card (If you're receiving a refund, you'll get fast access to your money with this reloadable card  no bank account necessary)
- The refund check option is available only with credit card payment method
- The split refund (between more than one bank account) option is available only with credit card payment method
amcel1288

Hi, thank you for your response.  However, what happened was I initially clicked e-file and when asked for tax return of last year, I decided to switch to mail in option.  So I did not e-file at all.  The turbotax online client told me I could change my refund option to a check, which I did.  Everything on the online client was successful and as I wanted it to be.

Then I received an email telling me I had a prepaid card on the way...

Is there anyway I will receive double refunds and get in trouble for that?  If that is not possible then I don't really mind whether I receive the prepaid or the check.  I just want to know if I am responsible for taking further actions to ensure they do not send me a double refund.

Thanks again!
MicheleR

You are most welcome! Thank you for responding to give me more clarity. The answer is no, you don't have to worry about receiving two refunds. Whichever method you chose on the mail-in return, is how you will receive the refund.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies