Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just did my returns but I forgot to add the donation and how can I go back to it

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DexterS

I just did my returns but I forgot to add the donation and how can I go back to it

If, when you say "just did my returns" you mean that you efiled them, you can't get them back.

The only way to correct a return that has already been filed is by filing an Amended Tax Return (Form 1040-X).

You should wait to get the acknowledgement that your original efile is accepted.

If for some reason it gets rejected you can correct the efile error, make any other corrections and re-submit it.

If the original efile is accepted you have to go through the Amended Return process, make any necessary corrections, print it out and mail it in.

Unfortunately, the IRS will not accept an amended return by efile.

The IRS website says that it will take up to 16 weeks to process amended tax returns.

To start the Amended Return Process in TurboTax Free:

• Select >> Search (at the top of your screen)
  • Type "Amend" >> Click on the magnifying glass
  • Select >> "Jump to Amend" in the drop down

TurboTax will walk you through the Amendment Process.

If you haven't filed the return yet you can get to the Donations section of Itemized Deductions as follows:

• Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits > Scroll Down to > Charitable Donations
  • Select > Show more > Donations to Charity in 2016 > Select > Start
  • Follow through the next screens, answering the questions as you go.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DexterS

If, when you say "just did my returns" you mean that you efiled them, you can't get them back.

The only way to correct a return that has already been filed is by filing an Amended Tax Return (Form 1040-X).

You should wait to get the acknowledgement that your original efile is accepted.

If for some reason it gets rejected you can correct the efile error, make any other corrections and re-submit it.

If the original efile is accepted you have to go through the Amended Return process, make any necessary corrections, print it out and mail it in.

Unfortunately, the IRS will not accept an amended return by efile.

The IRS website says that it will take up to 16 weeks to process amended tax returns.

To start the Amended Return Process in TurboTax Free:

• Select >> Search (at the top of your screen)
  • Type "Amend" >> Click on the magnifying glass
  • Select >> "Jump to Amend" in the drop down

TurboTax will walk you through the Amendment Process.

If you haven't filed the return yet you can get to the Donations section of Itemized Deductions as follows:

• Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits > Scroll Down to > Charitable Donations
  • Select > Show more > Donations to Charity in 2016 > Select > Start
  • Follow through the next screens, answering the questions as you go.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies