turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my minor dependant is requried to file her own taxes using only a 1098t do i need to report the 1098t on my taxes aswell? does she just file as single?

she is taking dual credit courses while in high school and has no other income to report.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If my minor dependant is requried to file her own taxes using only a 1098t do i need to report the 1098t on my taxes aswell? does she just file as single?

You use the 1098-T for Lifetime Learning Credit if otherwise qualified. She doesn’t have a do anything with it since she has no filing requirement. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If she is a dependent and does not have a filing requirement, you can report the 1098-T on your tax return and claim either an education credit or the Tuition & Fees deduction on your personal return.

Please see the link below for the types of credits available as well as the Tuition & Fees deduction.

Chart comparing credits

Tuition & fees deduction

To enter your 1098-T information: 

1. Go to the Federal section of the program 
  2. Select Deductions & Credits 
  3. Select Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) and click start 
  4. Select Edit to the right of your student's name to review or input your information for the 1098-T 
  5. Or you can Add a student  if needed on this section
  6. Proceed to enter the information as reported on the 1098-T form.  TurboTax will generate the applicable credit or adjustment based upon your input.

@leighleigh84

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies