leighleigh84

If my minor dependant is requried to file her own taxes using only a 1098t do i need to report the 1098t on my taxes aswell? does she just file as single?

she is taking dual credit courses while in high school and has no other income to report.
Bsch4477

You use the 1098-T for Lifetime Learning Credit if otherwise qualified. She doesn’t have a do anything with it since she has no filing requirement. 

JotikaT2

If she is a dependent and does not have a filing requirement, you can report the 1098-T on your tax return and claim either an education credit or the Tuition & Fees deduction on your personal return.

Please see the link below for the types of credits available as well as the Tuition & Fees deduction.

Chart comparing credits

Tuition & fees deduction

To enter your 1098-T information: 

1. Go to the Federal section of the program 
  2. Select Deductions & Credits 
  3. Select Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) and click start 
  4. Select Edit to the right of your student's name to review or input your information for the 1098-T 
  5. Or you can Add a student  if needed on this section
  6. Proceed to enter the information as reported on the 1098-T form.  TurboTax will generate the applicable credit or adjustment based upon your input.

@leighleigh84