Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I open up my final tax return and save under a new file name, will TurboTax preserve the original version of my tax return?

I want to run some what-ifs on my return.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I open up my final tax return and save under a new file name, will TurboTax preserve the original version of my tax return?

@richard's_tax 

If you are using the "Online" Browser-based software...NO.....not if you are using the same Online account. You would have to create an entirely new account (with new UserID and Pwd ), and that new account would require you to start from scratch.

If you are using the Desktop software...YES.

First Save your real file, then do a Save-As, but make sure you change the filename when saving to something simple like "Test_File". Then you can work with that test file as much as you want.

Note that in the Desktop software there is also a What-IF worksheet you can open if Forms Mode, that you can mess with, and it does not affect the main form...just that worksheet....but there is no Q&A to lead you thru it, you just copy columns & change numbers.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
JulieS
Expert Alumni

It depends on what version of TurboTax you are using. Your account shows you are using TurboTax Online. 

If you are working in TurboTax  Online, the version that gets carried to next year will be the last version you created in the program for this year. There are some ways to work around that, but it involves creating new accounts, which is not recommended. 

If you are working in TurboTax Desktop, which is software installed on your computer, you can save your final copy, create another copy, and play with it.

Next year, you can select the .tax2023 file to bring forward to 2024. 

Select Save As (or Duplicate on Mac) from the File menu to save a copy with a new name. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies