Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bekkeh

If I know I filed taxes but the issue is that I owe the government money and I've recently moved; what should I do? I tried calling directly already with little results.

I moved from Illinois to Michigan.  I called IRS to inform them of such and was hung up on.  I know I owe money,  but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to file taxes regardless right? I'm just confused on what to do.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If I know I filed taxes but the issue is that I owe the government money and I've recently moved; what should I do? I tried calling directly already with little results.

Yes, of course you can file a tax return.   When you prepare your tax return you will use your new address in MY INFO so that the IRS has the right address to use if they need to mail you a letter or a check.   

You can also file a change of address with the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

If you owe back taxes, the IRS will take any 2023 refund you are getting and use it toward the amount you owe.  You will not need to enter anything about that on your tax return; the IRS already knows and will take care of it automatically.

When you say you moved "recently"-----did you move in 2023 or in 2024?   If you only lived in Illinois in 2023, you file only an IL tax return.   If you moved to MI in 2023 and worked in MI in 2023 we need some details --- you may have to prepare two state returns for 2023.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies