Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rkankrom

If i gave the irs authority to take money from my checking account at time of filing and they didn't take it but sent me a letter with interest and penalties tacked on

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If i gave the irs authority to take money from my checking account at time of filing and they didn't take it but sent me a letter with interest and penalties tacked on

does the letter explain what these penalties are for. they could be penalties for underpayment of estimated taxes which has nothing to do with payment of your balance due. 

on the other hand, bad direct debit info would result in penalties. in addtion, your balance was due 4/15/2024 so if you paid after that date there are late payment penalties. if you did not file a timely extension there are also late filing penalties if filed after 4/15. there are certain exceptions for those in a federally declared disaster areas. 

to provide more guidance we would need the wording in the notice or the form number. amounts are not needed.

your other option is to contact the IRS for an explanation. There may be a phone number to call in the notice. 

Yes double check the bank routing number and account number with the bank.  Some banks like BofA use different numbers for deposits and payments.  And check your tax return to see how you selected to pay it.  It should be on the cover sheet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies