Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I filed as a dependent in 2019 and did not receive a stimulus, am I guaranteed the stimulus if I file as an independent and no one else claims me for my 2020 taxes?

My parent claimed me for the 2019 tax season so I never received a stimulus for COVID-19. I am a full-time college student working two part time jobs and living on my own. If I file as a dependent on my 2020 taxes am I guaranteed the stimulus checks on my return?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If I filed as a dependent in 2019 and did not receive a stimulus, am I guaranteed the stimulus if I file as an independent and no one else claims me for my 2020 taxes?

No, unfortunately, you cannot have been claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2019 tax return to get the first or second stimulus payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vonphelps49
Returning Member

When I complete tax return for 2020 it shows I am due $1800 stimulus payment.  So that is not correct?

The prior answer is wrong.  You can get it on your 2020 return if you qualify even if your parents got it for claiming you in 2019 or 2018.

The Stimulus Checks are really based on your 2020 return we are filing in 2021.  So any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30.  If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return.  But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies