turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kypiper

If I e filed and now am doing an amended return where I don't owe as much can I just pay the smaller amount in April or must I pay the original amount?

On my original e-file, I owe and I am waiting to pay that amount to the IRS until April.  With the amending of my tax return, I don't owe as much.  When I run Turbo Tax is created the 1040-X showing a refund amount.  Do I need to go ahead and pay the IRS the original amount due based on the e-file?  Thus I would get a refund later based on the amended return and the original over payment.

Or can I just pay the newer, lower amount based on the amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I e filed and now am doing an amended return where I don't owe as much can I just pay the smaller amount in April or must I pay the original amount?

Since you have already e-filed you would have to first pay the original amount as filed, then file the amended return to claim the refund back.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Since you have already e-filed you would have to first pay the original amount as filed, then file the amended return to claim the refund back.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies