kypiper

If I e filed and now am doing an amended return where I don't owe as much can I just pay the smaller amount in April or must I pay the original amount?

On my original e-file, I owe and I am waiting to pay that amount to the IRS until April.  With the amending of my tax return, I don't owe as much.  When I run Turbo Tax is created the 1040-X showing a refund amount.  Do I need to go ahead and pay the IRS the original amount due based on the e-file?  Thus I would get a refund later based on the amended return and the original over payment.

Or can I just pay the newer, lower amount based on the amended return?

ChrisVonHoep

Since you have already e-filed you would have to first pay the original amount as filed, then file the amended return to claim the refund back.

ChrisVonHoep