Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i amended my taxes on a different platform can i still file my amended taxes through turbotax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If i amended my taxes on a different platform can i still file my amended taxes through turbotax?

No.   Only a return prepared using TurboTax can be e-filed from TT.   But you can print, sign and mail your Form 1040X.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

with Turbotax only a 2023 amended return can be e-filed and i believe the original must have been e-filed using Turbotax. if by different platform you mean a different app than Turbotax there would be no way to e-file that return using Turbotax. if you used Turbotax originally, the amended return would have to be done using Turbotax. 

That is correct.  If the original return was not prepared and e-filed using TurboTax, you could not e-file an amended return.  The amended return would have to be filed by mail.  This is not a situation for TT to help you with.   You will just have to mail in your amended return if you cannot e-file it from the platform you used.

Use a mailing service that can track it like certified mail, since you will have a long wait for the IRS to process it.   It will be weeks before you can see any information on the IRS site.

Do not expect quick results from amending. It can take five months or more for the IRS to process an amended return.  

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies