Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1hustead

If I amend my taxes and I need to mail in the paperwork, will that delay my original refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

If I amend my taxes and I need to mail in the paperwork, will that delay my original refund

Amending your tax return won't actually affect the timing, or processing, of your original return at all.

If you've already submitted (e-filed or paper mailed) your original tax return, and now find yourself in the position of needing to change (i.e., amend) something, then the sequence of events normally should go as follows:

1) IRS (and state, if applicable) receive taxpayer's original (with errors) return

2) Taxpayer waits until original tax return (with errors) is processed and refund is issued by the government

3) After original tax return (with errors) is processed by the government, the taxpayer then completes an amended tax return, fixes any errors with the original return, and then paper-files the amended tax return by traditional postal mail.  Amended returns cannot be e-filed, according to IRS rules.

So, for an amended tax return, you have to wait until the original (wrong) tax return is filed, processed and a tax refund issued (or payment check to the government cashed).  That can take a couple of weeks.  After this has happened, you can then file a new, amended, tax return to either correct a mistake, or to add additional information.

Therefore, since you need to wait for your original refund to work its way through the system before you file an amended return, your amended return filing won't delay or affect the timing or receipt of your original refund at all.

While the amended filing process for the 2016 tax year is not yet available in TurboTax, it will be soon.  Here are a pair of links you can use to learn more about amended tax returns, and specifically our TurboTax process for doing so in 2016 (the webpages at this links will be updated accordingly with new information, when available).  Hopefully you will find them helpful.

Thanks for asking such an important and timely question!

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-my-2016-turbotax-online-return

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Amending your tax return won't actually affect the timing, or processing, of your original return at all.

If you've already submitted (e-filed or paper mailed) your original tax return, and now find yourself in the position of needing to change (i.e., amend) something, then the sequence of events normally should go as follows:

1) IRS (and state, if applicable) receive taxpayer's original (with errors) return

2) Taxpayer waits until original tax return (with errors) is processed and refund is issued by the government

3) After original tax return (with errors) is processed by the government, the taxpayer then completes an amended tax return, fixes any errors with the original return, and then paper-files the amended tax return by traditional postal mail.  Amended returns cannot be e-filed, according to IRS rules.

So, for an amended tax return, you have to wait until the original (wrong) tax return is filed, processed and a tax refund issued (or payment check to the government cashed).  That can take a couple of weeks.  After this has happened, you can then file a new, amended, tax return to either correct a mistake, or to add additional information.

Therefore, since you need to wait for your original refund to work its way through the system before you file an amended return, your amended return filing won't delay or affect the timing or receipt of your original refund at all.

While the amended filing process for the 2016 tax year is not yet available in TurboTax, it will be soon.  Here are a pair of links you can use to learn more about amended tax returns, and specifically our TurboTax process for doing so in 2016 (the webpages at this links will be updated accordingly with new information, when available).  Hopefully you will find them helpful.

Thanks for asking such an important and timely question!

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-my-2016-turbotax-online-return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies