turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kcruz345

If I already filed one of my w-2's before I found out I have a 2nd one what do I do? There's an option to add another w2 but I already e-filed the first one.

Can I save the 2nd w2 and file it next year. My first one has already been filed 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherekaB

If I already filed one of my w-2's before I found out I have a 2nd one what do I do? There's an option to add another w2 but I already e-filed the first one.

First you will need to wait and see if your return is Accepted or Rejected by the IRS. If the return is Rejected you can go back in and fix the mistake without amending. If the return is Accepted you will need to WAIT until you receive your refund and then Amend.

Follow these steps to amend:https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SherekaB

First you will need to wait and see if your return is Accepted or Rejected by the IRS. If the return is Rejected you can go back in and fix the mistake without amending. If the return is Accepted you will need to WAIT until you receive your refund and then Amend.

Follow these steps to amend:https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

kcruz345

After i amend what will happen? I need the money for a car so I was wondering if I could just save the second w2 and file it next year. My redund was already accepted. Will they take money back after I amend it
SherekaB

They take about 16 weeks to process your amend return which has to be mailed in. If you owe something after you amend you would subtract it from your refund amount. Do not amend until you receive your refund.
kcruz345

If I owed money would I send money back?
SherekaB

Yes you would deduct what you owed from the refund you receive once you file the amendment. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2817197-i-received-a-refund-when-i-filed-but-now-i-owe-taxes-on-th...>
TomD8
Level 15

And you cannot save the W-2 and file it next year.  A 2017 W-2 must be filed with your 2017 tax return.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies