Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i accidentally filed my 2016 taxes as my 2018 taxes can i fix this? how do i fix this please help me

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If i accidentally filed my 2016 taxes as my 2018 taxes can i fix this? how do i fix this please help me

Wait for the original for what you filed refund (if any) or pay the taxes you the file said you owed.

Once you get that refund (don't spend it...deposit it and leave it be), or after you have paid the taxes due on that improper tax file (Federal and state).....then

...then you will  log back into your tax file..and select "Amend (change) return"

That takes you back in and you can change everything you entered wrong...modify a W-2 or delete it entirely and re-enter the correct one...and anything else that needs changing. the "Amend (change) return"  starts tracking all your changes from the original.  Then run thru the State amended tax return interview too.

When done, you will print out the amended tax forms, sign, date, make copies for yourself...attach your 2018 W-2 form(s) or copies of any other tax forms that show withholding on them....and a check if you owe them now.

......take them to the Post Office and mail them in using a tracking method at the Post Office service counter.  Federal amended tax forms go to the IRS...State amended tax forms go to your state..different addresses.

No, they cannot be e-filed....they must be mailed in on paper.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4667226-how-do-i-amend-my-2018-turbotax-online-return

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies