If you claimed yourself as a dependent, you can file an amended return and select that someone else can claim you as a dependent on their tax return.
Before amending, you must wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects or original tax return.
If the original return is rejected, you can update your dependent status and any other errors on the return and resubmit.
If the original return is accepted and you have received your original refund, you will need to amend your return to change your dependent status. After you have amended your return, you will then print and mail the return to the IRS.
Please see these instructions for amending a return in TurboTax Online: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5567856
To indicate that you can be claimed by someone else as a dependent you will need to do the following:
1. Log in to TurboTax Online
2. Click on Take me to my return
3. Once in your return, click Personal Info
4. Locate your name and click the Edit button
5. On the following screen, near the bottom, you will choose "Yes" to Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return and click Continue.
Still have questions?Make a post