turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I wasn't suppose to file my taxes, my mom files me on her taxes

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
1 Reply
New Member

I wasn't suppose to file my taxes, my mom files me on her taxes

If you claimed yourself as a dependent, you can file an amended return and select that someone else can claim you as a dependent on their tax return.

Before amending, you must wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects or original tax return.

If the original return is rejected, you can update your dependent status and any other errors on the return and resubmit. 

If the original return is accepted and you have received your original refund, you will need to amend your return to change your dependent status. After you have amended your return, you will then print and mail the return to the IRS.

Please see these instructions for amending a return in TurboTax Onlinehttps://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5567856

To indicate that you can be claimed by someone else as a dependent you will need to do the following:

1.    Log in to TurboTax Online

2.    Click on Take me to my return

3.    Once in your return, click Personal Info

4.    Locate your name and click the Edit button

5.    On the following screen, near the bottom, you will choose "Yes" to Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return and click Continue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies