Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I verified my ID w/ the IRS on 1-6-22 for them to release my 2020 tax year refund, is the IRS 9-week estimated release date accurate or will it take longer?

Was unable to verify my ID with the IRS for them to release my 2020 tax year refund due to difficulties making it to the nearest office 5 hours away with my hectic work schedule. Finally verified over the phone on 1-6-22 and was told I should receive the refund in 9 weeks which would be 3-10-22. Is this 9-week estimate usually accurate or should I expect yet further delays and excuses from the IRS? I am currently unable to file my 2021 tax year return as it is immediately rejected due to a "duplicate submission" which I can only assume is due to them holding up my 2020 tax year refund and their computer systems are too outdated to realize my 2021 tax year submission is different from my yet to be received 2020 tax year refund
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

I verified my ID w/ the IRS on 1-6-22 for them to release my 2020 tax year refund, is the IRS 9-week estimated release date accurate or will it take longer?

Since this is information with the IRS, they would need to be the ones assisting you with this.  

Have you already spoken with an agent directly or did you receive this information via their WMR site, letter, or automated system.  An easier way to reach out to a live agent is as follows:

IRS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7 AM - 7 PM, local time 

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After I verified my identity I have not spoken with an actual person at the IRS since. I am unable to use the WMR tool as it keeps saying my information is incorrect (possibly because I am trying to look up 2020 tax year information when they have already updated to 2021 tax year?). I have made multiple attempts to try and contact the IRS, a total of 632 attempts I made last week alone, however I cannot even get to the point in their automated system where I get put on hold. I work out of town M-F and have a very time-demanding job, I can't spend 3+ hours a day trying to not  even reach a real person, just getting put on hold is impossible. I really am at a loss as to what I can do, the Taxpayer Advocate Service is a joke with a longer waiting list than the IRS it seems. Are there any other tools I might be able to use when, at this point, it seems as though all hope is lost?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@uwsurquhart

Did you try the above steps to get to the IRS?  That is one workaround that should get you to an agent faster. 

You can also try to meet with an agent in person.  

Yes I have been using the steps you have listed for quite a while, it is only Tuesday and I have already made 94 attempts to get put on hold with the IRS to no avail. I cannot even reach an individual to make an appointment using the appointment hot line. I don't see how I am going to get this resolved by the filing deadline for my 2021 tax year return or receive my 2020 tax year refund if I can't even reach the irs

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The only way is to speak to the IRS. It may take awhile to reach an agent, since it is peak of the tax season. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies