Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

licox

I used H&R Block first and they said I owed a lot more on Federal than Turbo Tax. Do I need to mail in form 1040X when I mail in my paperwork.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmandaR1

I used H&R Block first and they said I owed a lot more on Federal than Turbo Tax. Do I need to mail in form 1040X when I mail in my paperwork.

So you filed with H&R block right?
AmandaR1

Form 1040X is the form used to amend your return; you can't send in a new tax return and attach form 1040X. To amend your H&R Block return, you'll need to wait until the return you just filed is processed and you receive your refund or payment due has cleared your account (otherwise, things can get messy).

If you aren't sure why your return came up differently in TurboTax, you'll need to figure this out before you can amend. To do so, compare your copy of H&R Blocks return to the return you've updated in TurboTax, following the instructions to preview your form 1040 below. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322

Below select 2016 and then the online version of TurboTax (if that's what you'd like to use), to get to the instructions for amending your return, which you need to follow carefully to update form 1040X. However, because you didn't use TurboTax for your initial return, you'll need to first update the software to match you H&R Block return exactly. Then follow the instructions: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5567856

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies