turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I think I made a mistake on my 2020 tax return but I sent in already, is there time to fix it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I think I made a mistake on my 2020 tax return but I sent in already, is there time to fix it?

You cannot fix your return right now.  Once you e-file a return, you cannot get it back, cancel it, or make any changes to it. 

You will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected to make any changes.  Do not make any changes to your e-filed return, it will not go through.  The IRS is not accepting returns until Feb. 12th, you will have to wait until then to see if your return is accepted or rejected.

If rejected, you can enter or change your information, then re-e-file.

If accepted, you would have to amend your return to make changes or add information.

Also, the Federal amended return (1040X), will not be available until around Feb. 28th (subject to change).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You cannot fix your return right now.  Once you e-file a return, you cannot get it back, cancel it, or make any changes to it. 

You will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected to make any changes.  Do not make any changes to your e-filed return, it will not go through.  The IRS is not accepting returns until Feb. 12th, you will have to wait until then to see if your return is accepted or rejected.

If rejected, you can enter or change your information, then re-e-file.

If accepted, you would have to amend your return to make changes or add information.

Also, the Federal amended return (1040X), will not be available until around Feb. 28th (subject to change).

ronin1931

Dear,

I made a very big mistake in :

25 Federal income tax withheld from:
c Other forms (see instructions) .. bc I thought that UBER was withholding taxes and paying IRS.

So IRS sent us a letter asking us for information about taxes in 25 box.  Then I called UBER, check in Internet, and then I realized that UBER  never withhold taxes.  Note: I was confused bc they don't send 1099 when one make less than 200 rides or less than $20,000.

Any way, I received a letter from IRS, not rejecting but asking additional information. I am calling , they delay in answer.

My Question is can I make the amendment in Turbotax?  Because I've read that one can amend when it is rejected, but mine is not indeed rejected but questioned.....

Thanks,

@ronin1931 You are posting on a post with a different circumstance than you.  Since the IRS sent you a letter, you should follow the steps in the letter to correct your information.  Your return is not rejected, if it is in the hands of the IRS.  You can't amend a return until it is fully processed by the IRS.  The IRS is holding your return until you get back at them with the information they asked for.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can do the amendment in TurboTax, but you really should check the letter you received from the IRS first. In many cases, the IRS will say not to file an amended tax return in the letter. 

Your first step is to make sure that you understand your letter before you try to fix this. You can use the resources in the Audit Support center to help you understand exactly what you need to do. 

Click here for Audit Support. 

Click here for amendment information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As stated in my post above, you cannot amend a return that the IRS has & is asking for information.  They need to follow the letter, then if the IRS suggests they amend their return, they can in TurboTax. They can adjust their return to match what the IRS changed, or they can amend a return to correct or add other information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies