Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

spell9893

I signed up for the audit protection and I got a letter 4464C in the mail on April 5. I truly need my taxes for hardship reasons. Does anyone know how to go about this??

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I signed up for the audit protection and I got a letter 4464C in the mail on April 5. I truly need my taxes for hardship reasons. Does anyone know how to go about this??

Receiving a 4464C letter is not an audit.  The IRS Integrity and Verification Operation unit sends out letter 4464C to inform you they have chosen to verify the accuracy of your return. The IRS issues this letter after a tax return has been filed but before the refund is issued. There are several reasons for sending this letter out. Among them are to randomly verify a taxpayer’s identity to protect against identify theft, to determine the refund being requested is accurate before issuing it to the taxpayer, and to test their own internal controls. 

The first thing to note is it will typically take the IRS up to 60 days to complete their review of your tax return. The IRS will also hold any refund for which you may have filed. During this time, it is recommended you take a close look at your return to check for any errors. If you do discover changes that need to be made, you may file an amended return to correct the information. After 60 days, if you have not been contacted by the IRS or received your refund, you can call the phone number provided on the notice for an update.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

There is NOTHING the audit protection can do for you at this time since the IRS has delayed the processing of the return so there is no audit yet.  There is nothing you or anyone can do to speed up the process. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-letter-4464c

Receiving a 4464C letter is not an audit.  The IRS Integrity and Verification Operation unit sends out letter 4464C to inform you they have chosen to verify the accuracy of your return. The IRS issues this letter after a tax return has been filed but before the refund is issued. There are several reasons for sending this letter out. Among them are to randomly verify a taxpayer’s identity to protect against identify theft, to determine the refund being requested is accurate before issuing it to the taxpayer, and to test their own internal controls. 

The first thing to note is it will typically take the IRS up to 60 days to complete their review of your tax return. The IRS will also hold any refund for which you may have filed. During this time, it is recommended you take a close look at your return to check for any errors. If you do discover changes that need to be made, you may file an amended return to correct the information. After 60 days, if you have not been contacted by the IRS or received your refund, you can call the phone number provided on the notice for an update.

The Taxpayer Advocate claims to be able to help if you are in a financial hardship.

Supposedly, that's what they do.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/

@spell9893 

Allap

Is it 60 days from the letter or 60 days from when the federal accepted? Asking for a friend

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

The Letter 4464C you received from the IRS is about making sure your income, credits and withholdings are correct..

You can use this link to learn more about Letter 4464C, Understanding Your 4464C

It can take the IRS up to 60 days to complete their review of your tax return. During this process, the IRS will also hold any refunds that you may be due. Take a close look at your return to check for any errors. If you do find changes that need to be made, you may file an amended return to correct that information. 

After 60 days, if you haven't heard from the IRS or received your refund, you can call the phone number provided on the notice for an update on your case.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies