I recieved a bonus less taxes in jan, 2015 and I had to repay the entire amount back in jan,2016. How do I file taxes now? My company is not giving me a w2c.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dswamina

I recieved a bonus less taxes in jan, 2015 and I had to repay the entire amount back in jan,2016. How do I file taxes now? My company is not giving me a w2c.

1 Reply
DDollar

There is either a credit or a deduction for the repayment of your sign-on bonus for the amount you repaid during 2016. However, if the bonus was both received and repaid during the year, you should contact your former employer to correct your W-2.

If your repayment was more than $3,000, there are two possible ways of doing the calculation. 

Method 1 is to take a deduction, which is the simplest method but may not get you the full benefit.

To calculate the repayment as a deduction, (Method 1):
  • Federal taxes - Deductions & Credits - Check for More Tax Breaks - Other Deductions & Credits - Show more - Other Deductible Expenses
  • When you get to the screen that shows Less Common Expenses, click No
  • The next screen will have Any Other Deductions? at the top.  Please answer YES to "Did you have any other deductions that are not subject to the 2% limitation?"
  • Please enter the amount you repaid under, "Claim of Right Repayment (Only if over $3,000).

To explore the more complex (but probably more beneficial) method of calculating the credit, please refer to IRS Publication 525 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf)

NOTE: If you choose to follow the more complex route and use the credit:
For repayments of less than $3,000:
  • Federal taxes - Deductions & Credits - Check for More Tax Breaks - Other Deductions & Credits - Show more - Other Deductible Expenses
  • When you get to the screen that shows Less Common Expenses, click Yes
  • Enter a description and amount that you repaid; click Continue

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings