Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a Taxpayer Statement from the state saying I owe them money even though Turbo Tax says I should get a refund. Am I misunderstanding something?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I received a Taxpayer Statement from the state saying I owe them money even though Turbo Tax says I should get a refund. Am I misunderstanding something?

@HH01201997 - need more details

1) how much were you expecting as a refund?

2) how much does the IRS now say you owe?

3) what did the letter say was the reason for the adjustment? please summarize. 

The state should have listed a reason you owe and a number you can call to ask questions.

Did you by any chance have a federal refund but a state balance due  and misunderstood the summary screen that netted the two amounts to show an overall refund ?   If so you can never have a state balance due paid directly from a federal refund ... in the FILE tab that was NOT one of the options presented to you at all.  

CHECK WHAT YOU CHOSE IN THE FILE TAB ...

For the State taxes owed the same type of information will be on the State Information Worksheet in Part V of the worksheet and on the State Filing Instructions page.

However most states, if not all, do not allow state taxes owed to be paid by Direct Debit when using tax preparation software.  They require the payment by Direct Debit only when using the State tax authorities website.

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the  online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies