tcheevers

I received a letter in the mail from the IRS requesting additional documentation.

They asked for:

• a copy of pages 1 and 2 of your return
  • amounts and dates of all estimated tax payments you paid for this tax year (if applicable)
  • any supporting documents verifying income and withholding, and
  • a copy of this letter

I've never gotten anything like this in the past. What's going on? Should I be nervous?

mesquitebean

For what tax year--current 2018 or earlier?   Does the letter have a CP or LTR number in the right corner?

Is there any claim made in the letter about what they are doing or alleging?   It could even be at random.  Did you file a return for the year in question?

Did you purchase  Audit Defense for the tax year in question?   If, so we can tell you how to contact the company that handles that.

If not, you can phone TurboTax free Audit Support Center for help with an IRS letter.   They close in 40 minutes today (at 5 PM Pacific), but reopen on Monday.
To get the phone number go to this link and click the blue Get Help button and follow the prompts.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/i...>

You may get suggestions in this forum as well over the weekend.

It sounds like they are trying to verify your withholding and estimated tax payments.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call the IRS to find out what's going on.  1-800-829-1040.   this will also insure that the letter was in fact from the IRS.    another thing you could do is go to the IRS website and see if they have a transcript of the return for the year in question.     
tcheevers

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Here is the information you guys asked:
Last year’s taxes (2018).  
It does have an LTR number. 12C.
Yes,  we did purchase audit defense

mesquitebean

As TaxPro+40 suggested, it's a good idea to verify the letter is real by phoning the IRS at the number he provided rather than the one on the letter.  There have been some scams involving letters, but it's not as common as fake IRS phone calls.

Since you purchased Audit Defense, they will help you with understanding an IRS Letter and how to respond, etc.  

You can go to intuit.taxaudit.com and select Member Login (upper-right corner) or call (877) 829-9695 toll-free.  Don't pay again there, since you are considered a "Member."    If it was me, I'd probably call first and tell them what you received.
Anonymous
Not applicable