Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

serge1am

I received a letter from IRS asking for a form 8962 and 1095-A, but I was claimed as a dependent by my parents. What should I do?

I believe I filed incorrectly because I received a letter asking for the form 8962 and 1095-A, but I was claimed as a dependent on my parent's insurance. I do not have access to these forms, what should I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I received a letter from IRS asking for a form 8962 and 1095-A, but I was claimed as a dependent by my parents. What should I do?

You will need to respond to the IRS letter or amend.  On the letter should be instructions or a contact number. 

If you need to amend, TurboTax will help you take care of this:

Open this TurboTax link and follow the instructions to correct your Health Insurance and amend your tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

Once you have navigated to amend your return, you can start by verifying that you stated on your personal information that you are being claimed by someone else

Next, you will go to the Health Insurance tab, the opening page will state that since someone else can claim you as a dependent, you don't have to complete the health insurance questions.

However, if you are not being claimed on your parent's tax return, and only included in their health insurance, you will proceed directly to the Health Insurance tab and not change you Personal Information

1.  Go to the Health Insurance tab.

2.  On the first question, you will answer that you will choose that you had health insurance all year.

3.  The next page will want to know if you had health insurance through the Marketplace and need to file a 1095-A.  Your answer will be Yes.

You will need to obtain the form to manually enter (type it in). 

Once entered, you will see a page titled, Do any of these situations apply?  You will answer:  Shared this policy with another taxpayer who is not on my taxes.

This will take you to a screen where you will enter your parent's social security numbers and allocate your portion of the health insurance.

This will handle the insurance questions correctly.

You will mail your amendment to the IRS.  They do not accept electronic amendments.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LisaBr

You will need to respond to the IRS letter or amend.  On the letter should be instructions or a contact number. 

If you need to amend, TurboTax will help you take care of this:

Open this TurboTax link and follow the instructions to correct your Health Insurance and amend your tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

Once you have navigated to amend your return, you can start by verifying that you stated on your personal information that you are being claimed by someone else

Next, you will go to the Health Insurance tab, the opening page will state that since someone else can claim you as a dependent, you don't have to complete the health insurance questions.

However, if you are not being claimed on your parent's tax return, and only included in their health insurance, you will proceed directly to the Health Insurance tab and not change you Personal Information

1.  Go to the Health Insurance tab.

2.  On the first question, you will answer that you will choose that you had health insurance all year.

3.  The next page will want to know if you had health insurance through the Marketplace and need to file a 1095-A.  Your answer will be Yes.

You will need to obtain the form to manually enter (type it in). 

Once entered, you will see a page titled, Do any of these situations apply?  You will answer:  Shared this policy with another taxpayer who is not on my taxes.

This will take you to a screen where you will enter your parent's social security numbers and allocate your portion of the health insurance.

This will handle the insurance questions correctly.

You will mail your amendment to the IRS.  They do not accept electronic amendments.

kmueller1

Filing taxes and form 8962 is asking for dependent combined Modified AGI

For health insurance purposes I have all  three kids on marketplace, but I am only claiming 1 kid as a dependent. For this line do I include all three kids Modified AGI or the only the modified AGI of the only child I am claiming?

Please help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies