Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a CP 27 notice from the IRS notifying me that I may be eligible for the EIC. Why does Form 15112 have different questions than TurboTax to see if I qualify?

TurboTax says, "If your 2019 earned income is higher than your 2021 earned income of $_____, you could get more for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)" but Form 15112 makes no mention of my income. It just asks if I'm a dependent, can be claimed by another person, etc.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I received a CP 27 notice from the IRS notifying me that I may be eligible for the EIC. Why does Form 15112 have different questions than TurboTax to see if I qualify?

First that notice is GENERIC  and only says you MAY be eligible for the EIC  which the program calculates automatically using the info you enter in the MY INFO section and the income you entered.   The IRS knows your 2019 & 2021 earned income ... they don't need that from you.  The TT program asked for that info in the EIC entry section ... you may have skipped or not understood that section when you completed the interview.

The form 15112 only asks for what would normally be reported on the EIC form attached to the tax return.   So instead of processing the return the IRS is giving you the chance to possibly get the credit  on the originally filed return  instead of making you amend the return later if you even know you need to do this.  Comply with the information requested in the notice timely. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies