Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stephy5

I received a 1099misc for foster care after i filed my taxes am i able to file it next year instead?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I received a 1099misc for foster care after i filed my taxes am i able to file it next year instead?

Please see the following answer to a previously posted question: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6100077

SuperUser Tom Young goes one step further. He suggests claiming the income and subsequently reversing it. Please see his answer:Foster care payments

No, you won't be able to add your 2018 1099-MISC form to your 2019 income tax return. Each year stands alone. If your return was accepted by the IRS, you'll have to amend your income tax return(s) to add your 1099-MISC form.

However, the IRS has not finalized the 1040X amendment form. They're scheduled to issue that form around February 14, 2019. When they do issue the form, see How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed.

Related information: 

[Edited 2-4-19|1:18 pm PST]

View solution in original post

7 Replies
HelenaC

Please see the following answer to a previously posted question: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6100077

SuperUser Tom Young goes one step further. He suggests claiming the income and subsequently reversing it. Please see his answer:Foster care payments

No, you won't be able to add your 2018 1099-MISC form to your 2019 income tax return. Each year stands alone. If your return was accepted by the IRS, you'll have to amend your income tax return(s) to add your 1099-MISC form.

However, the IRS has not finalized the 1040X amendment form. They're scheduled to issue that form around February 14, 2019. When they do issue the form, see How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed.

Related information: 

[Edited 2-4-19|1:18 pm PST]

stephy5

I just called turbo tax and the representative on the phone told me I could file it with next year taxes?
HelenaC

No. If it's 2018 income, you have to file it in 2018. Most individuals are cash basis, calendar year taxpayers. Under the cash method, income is not counted until cash (or a check) is actually received, and expenses/deductions are not counted until they are actually paid.

Remember, the IRS was sent the 2018 1099-MISC form. When they match your 2018 tax documents to what they received from employers and agencies, the 2018 1099-MISC form, for foster care, will not match what you are reporting on your 2018 tax return and you will get a CP2000 letter from the IRS. The CP2000 letter states "that the income or payment information we have on file doesn't match the information you reported on your tax return. This discrepancy may cause an increase or decrease in your tax, or may not change it at all". See <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp2000-notice">https://www.irs.gov/individuals/un...>
stephy5

Am I suppose to claim this ? Everything I have read has stated this is not taxable income and I don't need to file it on my taxes because technically it isn't income and is to take care of the foster child.
HelenaC

Please see my revised answer.
stephy5

Thank you very much for your help.
HelenaC

You are very welcome. Thank you for using TurboTax. We really appreciate it!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies