turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rec'd a C2000 notice from the IRS for tax year 2022. I neglected to enter our SS income for which an adjustment of $2000 including interest. Why wasn't this noticed?

This would seem to be a glaring mistake that TurboTax should have caught.  I'm going to need an explanation.  
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I rec'd a C2000 notice from the IRS for tax year 2022. I neglected to enter our SS income for which an adjustment of $2000 including interest. Why wasn't this noticed?

TurboTax has no way to know that you have received SS benefits.

The program shows you all the types of income that you would have received during the year.  If you choose not to review those types of income while you were in the Wages & Income section, that is on you.

Additionally, it is your responsibility to review your tax return before filing.  If you did not review the return then the fault for not reporting the SS benefits is yours.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax cannot see the papers on your desk. It has to rely on you to enter all of your income. If you had income that you did not enter, there is no way for TurboTax to know that.

Your personal AGI will know your finances, watch your tax return being prepared  and remind you that you left out your SS income.

We're not there yet.

@gregoblanco 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies