Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I qualify for full repayment protection for an overpayment of the advance child credit last year but turbotax is still deducting it. Am I doing something wrong?

I entered the full amount received for my two daughters last year but only claim one this year. My AGI is under the 50K Max so i'm confused why it says $0 for child credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I qualify for full repayment protection for an overpayment of the advance child credit last year but turbotax is still deducting it. Am I doing something wrong?

You are not due a child tax credit for the child you claimed in 2020. Since you received an advance payment on the child tax credit for that individual, it is applied to the child tax credit you are due in 2021 for the other child. While it is true that you would not have had to pay back the advance for the 2020 dependent if you had no child tax credit in 2021, it is applied to your 2021 credit since you have one. Another way to look at it is the IRS does not keep tract of who the child tax credit belongs to, rather you calculate the credit you are due for 2021, and any payments you received towards your child tax credit is used to satisfy that obligation by the government.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies