turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gncyprus

I paid $500 in taxes upon filing my returns; after amending my returns I'm owed a $200 refund. I've received my $200 refund, now when will my $500 be refunded and by who?

For context, this is all pertaining to my California state taxes. When originally filing, I scheduled a payment for the amount owed. After discovering the error in my returns, I filed my amendment before the original payment was debited. The amendment was accepted, the original payment was made, and now I have received the correct refund amount; so my inquiry is regarding the original payment that was made. Is it to be refunded by TurboTax or by the state tax board? And when can I expect it?
Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I paid $500 in taxes upon filing my returns; after amending my returns I'm owed a $200 refund. I've received my $200 refund, now when will my $500 be refunded and by who?

You have to look at your California amended return.  Does it show you paid the 500 on the original return?  Then you do not get it back.  The amended return is only for the difference you get back.  It way it works is like you first owed 500.  But you really only owed 300 so you get a 200 refund back.  

I'm in California too so I looked up the amended forms.

You fill out an amended 540 which is on the same 540 form. What is the new tax due or refund on it?

Then there is a 540X Explanation of Amended changes.
Line 1 is the amount you owe on the Amended 540
Line 2 is the refund on the original return
Line 4 is the refund on the Amended 540
Line 5 is the tax paid on the original return

Line 7 is the amount you owe now on the amended return
Line 9 is a refund you get now.

Your original tax due or refund is included in the new tax due/refund. You don't get the original tax due back.

gncyprus

Great, so Line 9 on my 540X is $700 as it should be. Now that I've received my $200, when can I expect my original erroneous payment of $500 refunded? And will that come from the CA state tax board or from TurboTax?

So you paid the $500?  Is it on the 540X line 5?  Don't know why they sent you only $200.  Was that suppose to be for the amended return?  Yes ask California.  They should send you a letter if they adjusted your returns.  Maybe they adjusted  your original return.   

Turbo Tax is not involved with getting your refunds.  After they transmit the return they are done with their part. 

gncyprus

Yes line 5 has the full amount of my original payment. Thanks for your help. Probably just lagging on processing and returning the amount paid first. Will wait for their correspondence.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies