Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I overpaid the IRS. How long does it take for the money to get refunded to my bank account?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I overpaid the IRS. How long does it take for the money to get refunded to my bank account?

Do you mean that you owed the IRS and paid more than you owed?  Please explain exactly what is going on.

Hi,

I seen an old notice on my IRS account for a payment due. The due date of this payment was in 2021 but it was for the 2020 tax year. There was an initial payment in the 2020 tax year that I submitted but unfortunately it was unable to get fully processed. Since the payment for the 2020 tax year was unable to get fully processed, I got a follow up notice that accrued interest from that initial payment

I thought that the initial payment and accrued interest payment were consecutive payments, so I submitted payments for them separately as of September 2024.

However, I realized that the initial payment and the accrued interest on the notice are concurrent to each other.

Long story short, I didn't fully comprehend the notice as I should have and realized that the balance due in 2021 for the 2020 tax year was paid already before the due date of the notice. I got the years mixed up and payments confused, and overpaid too much. 

I hope this helps.

Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or Try the Tax Advocate

Home - Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) - Taxpayer Advocate Service

Ok,

Thank you 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies