turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trmx927

I noticed on my returns, the routing number on my bank account is incorrect.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NatalieC

Once your return is e-filed and accepted then no changes can be made to the return, or your refund payment method. If it is rejected, then you can go back in and modify the refund payment method.

If the IRS tries to deposit your refund to the bank account on the return and it is closed, or the account name does not match the return name, it will be pulled back and automatically sent as a paper check to the address on the file as the mailing address on the return. 

If the return hasn't already posted to the IRS system, you can ask them to cancel the direct deposit and proceed directly to a paper check. You may call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Below is a direct link to the IRS.gov website explaining how they handle wrong account information :

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NatalieC

Once your return is e-filed and accepted then no changes can be made to the return, or your refund payment method. If it is rejected, then you can go back in and modify the refund payment method.

If the IRS tries to deposit your refund to the bank account on the return and it is closed, or the account name does not match the return name, it will be pulled back and automatically sent as a paper check to the address on the file as the mailing address on the return. 

If the return hasn't already posted to the IRS system, you can ask them to cancel the direct deposit and proceed directly to a paper check. You may call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Below is a direct link to the IRS.gov website explaining how they handle wrong account information :

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies