mconard2020

I never recieved my 2020 tax refund. It had to be amended first. So now turbotax says I need to pay back part of my federal tax return. The return I never received. Why?

Why do you have to amend?  You should not amend until the first original return is done processing and you get the first refund.  Did the IRS tell you to amend?

fanfare

If your amendment shows more tax, that comes out of your refund.

if the increase in tax exceeds your refund, you will have to include a check with your Form 1040-X.

fanfare

TurboTax assumes you got your refund already, or will receive it soon.

That's why you have to send in a check when your tax goes up.